"Please drive like a Texan-- friendly!"
It's been about five days since I arrived in Dallas after a two-day trek across four states in the Subaru. Momma stayed with me all weekend, helping me move into my Carolina blue duplex near the Knox-Henderson neighborhood. We drove all around the city from downtown to North Park, White Rock Lake and Highland Park. We've been up and at 'em every morning with tea and coffee ready to explore the next part of this bustling Texan metropolis. Well, Mom's flight back to Savannah/Okatie was early this morning, and I must say that I woke up a few hours after she left feeling quite disoriented and unsure. Indeed, I've been feeling much like I did before my very first Wilderness Ventures trip. My first flight alone, meeting strangers in a place where I have never been, etc. It's nerve-wracking, but, like WV trips, boundlessly exciting.
My house is on a tiny little street within spitting distance of a fun, quirky neighborhood with open-air restaurants and bars and a Sunflower organic grocery store. I am renting the duplex from a wonderfully nice and welcoming couple next door. Edwina also works at the Dallas Museum of Art in the donors circle, and her boyfriend, Jesse, does something financial downtown, I think. A picture of my house:
And the interior with my great rented furniture!
So that's the house! It's small and simple and cute!
Mom and I explored Dallas all weekend and happened upon the original Nieman Marcus downtown. Inside was of course full of absurdly priced designer clothes and accessories, but it is always fun to look. The gold escalators were pretty, too.
Later that afternoon, we drove all the way out to White Rock Lake, discovering a Whole Foods along the way, and also came upon the Dallas Arboretum (basically, botanical gardens). Of course Mom and I went, and we spent much of the afternoon strolling through sweltering heat in beautiful gardens with adorable artistic representations of Beatrix Potter settings (we visited Peter Rabbit's home as well as Jemima Puddleduck's) and fairy tale princess castles (my favorite was the Little Mermaid's. We came across a couple of weddings and what had to have been a little girl's princess themed birthday party, for there were dozens of girls dressed up in colorful, sparkling gowns wandering through the gardens. It was absolutely precious!
Now that I've wandered around with Mom all weekend, I am not nearly as nervous as I was about living here. Dallas actually feels like a smaller city, except a bunch of towering skyscrapers fell out of the clouds and landed here. Love to all-- I'll post again after my first day of work tomorrow!
Oh, I guess what I found...
A row of big fancy houses right in the middle of Harvard, Princeton, and Dartmouth streets. YSR :)
TO DO:
go to the Farmer's Market
hike the Katy Trail
see the Meadows Museum
eat a real Texan steak
buy new cowboy boots cause mine have a hole










Nice place Rhett. Good luck!
ReplyDeletelove the blog roo! and your place is awesome. WAY better than piece that i lived in in t-ride!
ReplyDelete