I suppose for one thing, I forgot it was my birthday when I woke up on Sunday morning until Mom wished me a very happy birthday, and I thought "oh, that's right!" as I gave her a big hug. No monumental legal status attained.
Mom and Dad flew in for the weekend after visiting Alston and Nick in Boulder and spending some time with them in Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico. I had such a wonderful time with them, showing them around Dallas, wining and dining etc. On Friday night we went to an incredible steakhouse, Pappas Bros., which was enjoyable in every sense of the word. The steak was perfectly cooked, the wine delicious, and it was just so great to see my parents after being in unfamiliar territory for awhile.
On Saturday morning we drove over to the Farmers' Market to get some fresh veggies for dinner. I think I might have eaten a whole tomato just from trying all of the offered samples from the different farms.
| The Dallas Farmers' Market |
On the way to lunch we stumbled upon Pioneer Plaza, which I had not yet seen. There is a magnificent bronze sculpture in the park called "Cattle Drive" with cast cowboys and bulls running lifelike through the square. Amazingly, the huge sculpture was all done by one man, Robert Summers.
| Part of "Cattle Drive" in Pioneer Plaza, downtown Dallas |
On Sunday (my birthday) we went to church, which happened to be their birthday-acknowledgement Sunday, and went to the Garden Cafe for brunch. Then we drove out to Arlington to see the Dallas Cowboys Stadium. It is one incredible building. One of the girls at work described it as "the Mothership." It's not a far off description, as it does resemble a spaceship that could be in Star Trek.
| Dallas Cowboys Stadium |
We then drove around the campus of SMU and I showed them the Calatrava kinetic sculpture, "Wave," outside of the Meadows Museum.
| Calatrava's "Wave," Meadows Museum, SMU |
Then we wandered around North Park Mall which puts Atlanta's Lennox to shame.
We ate dinner at a place called Javier's which boasts authentic and gourmet Mexican cuisine. I was a little bit nervous that Mom and Dad wouldn't like it, because I know usual Mexican restaurants aren't their thing, but Javier's was amazing. I haven't had Mexican like that since Cabo. I think we each had a tenderloin, but prepared differently. Again the wine was great, and they brought me a slice of rich chocolate pie with a birthday candle.
It was a wonderful weekend with great food, great wine, and of course, the most wonderful parents ever. Thanks for the great time. Momma and Daddy, I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment