Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Spanish Exhibition


"Color
           is
                       Light"
                                                ~ Esteban Vicente

Last Friday I had the morning off so I ventured over to the Meadows Museum on the campus of Southern Methodist University. The museum has an incredible collection of Spanish art that the Prado would itch to get its hands on. Actually, it was the goal of founder Algur H. Meadows to establish a pequeñito Prado in Texas. The goal has become realized in the Meadows Museum's three year partnership with the grand Spanish institution. With this alliance, the Museums will exchange two graduate student interns for an incredible opportunity in the curatorial field at an international level. With its collection and educational opportunities, the museum is truly a gem that Dallas is very lucky to have.

The first thing that is noticeable about the Meadows Museum before you even enter it, is the sound. As I was getting out of my car, the sound of metallic screeching and creaking reached my ears before I even turned to walk toward the building. Wondering what in the world needed so much grease, I came upon a fantastic undulant, kinetic sculpture by contemporary Spanish architect and sculptor Santiago Calatrava. Calatrava is easily recognized by his very linear style that is oftentimes arranged to produce very curvilinear effects.

Santiago Calatrava, Gare do Oriente, Lisbon, Portugal

His sculpture, "Waves," outside of the Meadows Museum is much more modest in appearance, though perhaps more dissonant in sound:


Like it? I happen to love it. For a more thorough description see this video by SMU and Meadows Museum director Mark Roglán:


Once inside the museum it is very quiet and elegant with ornately framed pieces and a large curved staircase in the entrance hall. The museum is full of Spanish medieval and Renaissance art including portraits of saints by artists like El Greco and Ribera, as well as impressive altarpieces by unknown artists. There is also a lovely collection by Spanish impressionist, Joaquín Sorolla, who I love. We went to his museum in Madrid that is preserved to resemble his home and studio. He is most known for his quaint beach paintings. 

I couldn't find any pictures of the pieces in the Meadows collection, but here's my favorite painting from el Museo Sorolla in Madrid:
Joaquín Sorolla, "Niña entrando en el baño"
Currently, there is a wonderful exhibition of abstract impressionist Esteban Vicente. He was in the same school of painting as Mark Rothko, Jackson Pollack, and Robert Motherwell, all of whom I like because they maintain thought-provoking meaning and skill in their work without crossing the border into the inexplicably bizarre art of the contemporary period.  Vicente loves color in his work. He went through a monochromatic phase early in his career with a palate similar to that of Jackson Pollack, however he is most known for his vibrant collages like "Labels," and abstract paintings like "Collage No. 3." 


Esteban Vicente, "Labels"


Esteban Vicente, "Collage No. 3"

The visit to the Meadows Museum reminded me of how much I love Spanish art and how underrated it is. One always hears of French impressionists, van Gogh, Monet, Degas, etc., but hardly anyone knows who Joaquín Sorolla is. I had never heard of Esteban Vicente until my visit, and he is now on my list of favorite painters along with Pollack and Rothko.

The morning passed quickly and I had to leave one museum to go to work at another!

No comments:

Post a Comment